Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: Full entry for this tank. All tanks of this type. All tanks at this location.


The Tank Museum - Reserve Collection, Bovington, Britain

(Location: Storage)

Powered By Subgurim( Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim( Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)

Sample Photo from Tank with UniqueID 2087

Unique ID: 2087
Added to Database: 17 January 2012
Last Edited: 24 March 2012
Type (ID): A33 Excelsior (3940)
Model (ID): A33 Excelsior (3940)
Location Category (ID): The Tank Museum - Reserve Collection (3016)
Location (ID): Storage (3016)
Serial Number:
Registration: T2866.
Other Identification: Painted overall in a green, brown and black camouflage scheme (previously overall green).
Collection Reference: E1949.355. (Accession 35549, Entry 1949.1018).
Links: Museum Vehicle Record
Arcane AFVs
Associated Tanks:

Location History:
(see map)

1: The Tank Museum - Public Areas, Bovington, Dorset, South West England, Britain (On display outside – dates unknown)
2: The Tank Museum - Reserve Collection, Bovington, Dorset, South West England, Britain (Current location)

Text in original Preserved British Tanks publication:

[No entry]

Text in Preserved British Tanks Update:

[No entry]

Text in original Preserved Tanks In Britain publication:

Late in 1942 consideration was given to using the Cromwell Tank chassis as the basis for a heavier assault tank. English Electric produced two pilot models based on a basic A27 Cromwell hull and turret with added armour. One was fitted with the T1 track and suspension used on the American M6 Heavy Tank. This was the second pilot model built, fitted with a new scissors-action suspension with widened Cromwell-type tracks (known as "R/L Heavy" type) and different side skirts. No further examples were built. This one was put on the museum books in 1949. It was on display in the museum car park for some years.

Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

October 1982

Front right view
1: Front right view

Taken: 26 October 1982
Contributor: T. Larkum
Photo ID: 6662
Added: 6 February 2012
Filename: Scan_A33...
Views: 800
Select/Has Priority: 21/0