Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: Full entry for this tank. All tanks of this type. All tanks at this location.


(Model: Henschel Turret Model)

Panzermuseum, Munster, Germany

(Location: Panzermuseum)

Powered By Subgurim( Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim( Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)

Sample Photo from Tank with UniqueID 217

Unique ID: 217
Added to Database: July 2008
Last Edited: 1 May 2011
Type (ID): Tiger II (210)
Model (ID): Henschel Turret Model (400)
Location Category (ID): Panzermuseum (100)
Location (ID): Panzermuseum (100)
Serial Number:
Other Identification:
Collection Reference:
Links: WW2 Battlefield Relics
Associated Tanks:

Location History:
(see map)

1: Wegmann & Co, Kassel, Nordhessen, Germany (Henschel-designed turret manufacturer)
2: Henschel und Sohn, Kassel, Nordhessen, Germany (Chassis manufacturer and vehicle assembly 1944-5)
3: Guise, France (Withdrawal)
4: La Capelle, France (Recovered December 1944)
5: Le Havre, France (Staging point)
6: U.S. Army Ordnance Museum, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Harford County, Maryland, USA (Until December 1960)
7: Panzermuseum, Munster, Soltau-Fallingbostel, Lower Saxony, Germany (Current location)

Text in original Preserved German Tanks publication:

This King Tiger was manufactured in July 1944. It has the chassis number 280101 and the turret number 280110. It originally belonged to sSS PzAbt 501 (previously sSS PzAbt 101) of the 1 SS PzKorps, as did the King Tigers at Shrivenham and La Gleize, and carried the turret number “121”. It ran out of petrol at La Capelle while withdrawing from Guise, near St Quentin. The crew disabled the gun and engine and left it blocking the road, which was on an embankment. An American engineer detachment bulldozed it off the road in September 1944 and it rolled down the embankment. It landed upside down in the field below, as a result of which the gun barrel broke off near the muzzle brake.
In December 1944 it was righted and recovered by the REME and towed into the village square at La Capelle. There it was loaded onto a Cranes trailer and driven to Le Havre where it was handed over to American forces. The Americans then shipped it to the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland while the REME team returned to recover the King Tiger that was to go to Shrivenham. This example was on display at the Ordnance Museum in APG for many years before being presented to the General of Combat Troops, General-Major Munzel, in Munster in December 1960. It was restored to running order in 1982 with the assistance of the Wegmann company at Kassel. It is fitted with fake mudguards and muzzle brake, and now carries the turret number “321”.

Text in Preserved German Tanks Update:

[No entry]

Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

Date Unknown

The King Tiger at Munster
1: The King Tiger at Munster

Taken: Date Unknown
Contributor: T. Larkum
Photo ID: 184
Added: 3 July 2008
Filename: Scan_KT_...
Views: 1711
Select/Has Priority: 1/0