Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

JAMES H ARNOLD MILITARY PLAZA, KILLEEN, BELL COUNTY, TEXAS, USA



Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Number of Photos:
1
Sample Photo

Click here or on the image for this location's profile page

Location Category ID:
93820
Address: Intersection of E Avenue D & N 4th Street, Killeen, TX 76541
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website:
Other Links: Google Street View
PhotoJo.com
Latitude, Longitude: 31.12065203 , -97.72920772
Location Accuracy: 7
Tanks Previously Here:


This location is a small park created and named in 1997 in honour of James H. ‘Screwdriver’ Arnold, a military veteran and local community dignitary. It contains an M47 tank and Cobra helicopter, and a plaque that reads as follows:

JAMES H. “SCREWDRIVER” ARNOLD
PATRIOT – PUBLIC SERVANT – FRIEND
JANUARY 7, 1917 - May 25, 1998

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
James H. “Screwdriver” Arnold, a native of Killeen, son of Jim and Velma Arnold, a farming family in the community.

Arnold graduated from Killeen High School in 1935, and worked as a plumber during the following years prior to entering the service in 1940 as a soldier in the 36th. Infantry Division, National Guard. He was a Technical Sergeant with Company D, 143rd. Infantry. Upon his discharge, Arnold had compiled an impressive record, receiving the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart. He served with his division in North Africa, in Italy during the Salerno landing, was in the Rapido River Crossing, served at Anzio Beach and participated in the invasion of Southern France.

Arnold actively participated in many community organizations and activities including the Greater Killeen Chamber of Commerce (President); Killeen City Council (Mayor Pro-Tem); Killeen Volunteer Fire Department (President); Kiwanis Club; Bob Gilmore Senior Citizens Center; Home Builders Association; Killeen High School Ex-Students Association; Killeen Riding and Roping Club; American Legion; Veterans of Foreign Wars; Military Order of The Purple Heart, and member of the First Baptist Church of Killeen for over 60 years. Arnold successfully operated his own plumbing business from 1952 until his retirement.

For his many acts of kindness, generosity and service, Arnold was awarded the Exchange Club of Killeen “Golden Deeds Award” in 1968.

In honor of an outstanding soldier, citizen and friend, the James H. “Screwdriver” Arnold Military Plaza is officially named on this 7th day of January, 1997.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


1) M47 Patton Tank American / Italian


Number of Photos:
9
Sample Photo from Tank with UniqueID 1338

Click here or on the image for this tank's profile page

Unique ID: 1338
Serial Number:
Registration:
Name:
Other Identification: Cylindrical muzzle break. White star painted on glacis. ORMeC data plate welded on hull rear plate.

This is an ex-Italian M47, and has an Italian data plate on the hull rear (source: J. Button). This indicates that the tank was maintained by O.R.Me.C. in Bologna.