Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Nibelungen, Sankt Valentin, Austria

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 31500
Added to Database: 8 April 2010
Last Edited: 8 April 2010
Address:
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website:
Other Links: Wikipedia.de
Latitude, Longitude: 48.15532905 , 14.49976444
Location Accuracy: 6
Tanks Previously Here: Tanks confirmed built here:
1: Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer - The Tank Museum - Public Areas, Bovington, Dorset, South West England, Britain (Built August 1944)

Models of tank built here:
1: Panzerkampfwagen IV Tank - Ausf F (Additional manufacturer)
2: Panzerkampfwagen IV Tank - Ausf G (Additional manufacturer)
3: Panzerkampfwagen IV Tank - Ausf H (Additional manufacturer)
4: Panzerkampfwagen IV Tank - Ausf J (Sole manufacturer 1944-5)
5: Panzerbefehlswagen IV Command Tank (Sole manufacturer March-September 1944)
6: Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär Assault Gun (Chassis manufacturer)
7: Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär Assault Gun - Brummbär Abschlusserie (Chassis manufacturer)
8: Panzer IV/70 Zwischenlösung Tank Destroyer (Sole manufacturer of Alkett design 1944-5)
9: Elefant Tank Destroyer - Early Production Vehicles (100 chassis manufactured 1941-42 then 90 converted to Elefant April-May 1943)
10: Elefant Tank Destroyer - Remanufactured Vehicles (100 chassis manufactured 1941-42 then 90 converted to Elefant April-May 1943)
11: Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer - Porsche Model (Sole manufacturer February 1944-May 1945)
12: Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer - Henschel Model (Sole manufacturer February 1944-May 1945)

Long term:
1: Elefant Tank Destroyer - U.S. Army Ordnance Museum, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Harford County, Maryland, USA (Returned to factory for upgrade)



The company was founded as Josef und Franz Werndl and Company in 1864 as a rifle manufacturer, but became known as Steyr-Werke AG in 1924. It began producing bicycles in 1894, and Steyr automobiles in 1915. In 1934, Steyr merged with Austro-Daimler-Puch to form Steyr-Daimler-Puch. During World War II Steyr-Daimler-Puch used slave labour, notably in the Mauthausen-Gusen camp complex at Gusen. This practice was in common with many other larger German companies, such as Mercedes-Benz and MAN, during that time. The vehicle range was built for military use, including the Steyr RSO Raupenschlepper Ost with an air-cooled 3.5-litre V8 engine designed by Ferdinand Porsche, who worked for the company at that time. (Source: Wikipedia).
The Nibelungen works was the largest and most advanced tank assembly plant of the German Reich. In the plant, which was run by Steyr-Daimler-Puch, over half of all Panzer IV tanks were produced up until the end of World War II. Under the German four-year plan, after the annexation of Austria, an armaments centre was created in the area of Linz, which included, among other things, the manufacture of armour plates at the Upper Danube Ironworks for the Nibelungen works which was itself responsible for the final assembly of tanks. The latter resulted from plans from 1939 to build an arms factory at the railway junction town of Saint Valentin for 65 million Reichsmark. The official opening took place in 1942. When completed, the monthly production capacity was intended to be 320 tanks, but this was never achieved. (Source: Wikipedia.de).
All early models of Panzer IV were manufactured by Krupp but from the Ausf F production was extended to Nibelungenwerke and later also included Vomag. In December 1941 Krupp’s factory was diverted to manufacture the Sturmgeschütz IV, and in the spring of 1944 the Vomag factory began production of the Jagdpanzer IV, leaving Nibelungenwerke as the only plant still assembling the Panzer IV.

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

1945

“Jagtiger assembly line”, photo from Gruasdealba/Webshots
1: “Jagtiger assembly line”, photo from Gruasdealba/Webshots

Taken: 1945 (Estimated)
Contributor: CRFU
Location Photo ID: 269
Added: 8 April 2010
Views: 504
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    

November 1943

Plan of Nibelungenwerk, uploaded by H. Klawuttke
2: Plan of Nibelungenwerk, uploaded by H. Klawuttke

Taken: 29 November 1943
Contributor: Wikimedia
Location Photo ID: 272
Added: 8 April 2010
Views: 366
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    

1943

Elefants being manufactured, photo from Nexusboard.net
3: Elefants being manufactured, photo from Nexusboard.net

Taken: 1943 (Estimated)
Contributor: CRFU
Location Photo ID: 270
Added: 8 April 2010
Views: 707
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    



1942

Construction of VK4501(P) prototype, photo from Forum.AxisHistory.com
4: Construction of VK4501(P) prototype, photo from Forum.Ax...

Taken: 1942 (Estimated)
Contributor: CRFU
Location Photo ID: 271
Added: 8 April 2010
Views: 2103
Has Priority: 0