Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Ferris Barracks, Erlangen, Middle Franconia, Bavaria, Germany

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 1660
Added to Database: 28 April 2011
Last Edited: 28 April 2011
Address:
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website:
Other Links: Army Kaserne
Ferris Barracks – NBG
Ferris Barracks – Multiply
Gallery
Latitude, Longitude: 49.58887563 , 11.02799892
Location Accuracy: 7
Tanks Previously Here: 1: M4A1 (76) HVSS Sherman Tank - Rose Barracks, Vilseck, Oberpfalz, Bavaria, Germany (Until 1993)
2: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo Heavy Tank - Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, Kentucky, USA (Until 1993)


When the city of Erlangen came under the crown of Prussia in 1792, the city also began its long history as a garrison town with the establishment of the 45th Royal Prussian Infantry Regiment. In 1890 the 19th Royal Bavarian Infantry Regiment moved into Erlangen which had been taken over by the Bavarian Kingdom in 1810. To accommodate the regimental units, new facilities had to be constructed. Two new infantry barracks were constructed by 1913, Sant Nihiel-Kaserne and Villes Bretoneaur Kaserne. The Deutsche Reich took over the complex in 1936 and enlarged it with the Rheinland Kaserne.
Erlangen surrendered on 16 April 1945 to US 3rd Infantry Division troops. The post was renamed Ferris Barracks in honour of 2LT Jeffery C. Ferris, 2nd Field Artillery Battalion, 1st Infantry Division, who had been killed in Tunisia. The principal units stationed at Ferris Barracks have changed often. The 4th Armored Division units first arrived in 1957, the 81st Artillery in 1960 and the 83rd Artillery in late 1961. The 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division moved out of Ferris Barracks in January 1994. On 28 June 1994, Ferris Barracks was closed and officially turned over to the German Government. The area has been redeveloped and is now known as Röthelheimpark.

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

January 2008

“Ferris Barracks Memorial to the Soldiers of the Erlangen Brigade from 1945-1991”, photo by R. Huezo
1: “Ferris Barracks Memorial to the Soldiers of the Erlange...

Taken: 20 January 2008
Contributor: Wikimedia
Location Photo ID: 459
Added: 1 May 2011
Views: 196
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    

1989

Ferris Barracks from the air, uploaded by Padraiga
2: Ferris Barracks from the air, uploaded by Padraiga

Taken: 1989
Contributor: Flickr
Location Photo ID: 458
Added: 1 May 2011
Views: 114
Has Priority: 20