Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Ostbau Werke, Żagań, Żagański, Lubuskie, Poland

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 16410
Added to Database: April 2010
Last Edited: 4 May 2012
Address: Kożuchowska 26, 68-100 Żagań
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website:
Other Links: Goniec Żagański
FineScale Modeler
Latitude, Longitude: 51.6246776 , 15.34875869
Location Accuracy: 6
Tanks Previously Here: Models of tank built here:
1: Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun (Sole assembly location 1944)



The Ostbau Werke was a factory that built vehicles for Germany during the Second World War. It was originally based in Sagen, in Silesia – now Żagań in Lubusz Voivodeship, western Poland.
A special detachment of 80 men was created whose sole job was to assemble the Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind and they were essentially equipped to the level of a field repair shop and nothing more. The specially-modified Flakvierling 38 guns, mounts and elevating and traversing mechanisms were supplied by a subsidiary of the Hermann Goering Werke, Vienna Arsenal, while the finished turrets came from FAMO in Breslau. All the crews had to do was the final assembly of the turrets to the hulls and mount the radios, small equipment, tools, etc. (Source: FineScale.com).
The Wirbelwind was produced by the Ostbau Works from the summer of 1944 to November of that year. The successor to the Wirbelwind, the Ostwind, was due to follow it on the production lines but before production began the major machine tools of the Ostbau Works were moved to the facilities of Deutsche Eisenwerke in Teplitz, and then to Duisburg, due to the danger of being overrun by the Soviets.
The Ostbau plant was located on the north-eastern edge of Żagań at ul. Kożuchowskiej 26, now the headquarters of a meat wholesaler (source: Goniec Żagański).

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

1944

Ostbau Werke, photo from FineScale.com
1: Ostbau Werke, photo from FineScale.com

Taken: 1944
Contributor: CRFU
Location Photo ID: 748
Added: 4 May 2012
Views: 117
Has Priority: 0