Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

CASERMA A.L. PAGLIERI, CODROIPO, UDINE, FRIULI-VENEZIA GIULIA, ITALY



Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Number of Photos:
2
Sample Photo

Click here or on the image for this location's profile page

Location Category ID:
5140
Address: Via Paglieri 60, 33033 Codroipo UD
Telephone: 0432907490
Email:
Opening Times: Not open to the public
Official Website: Reggimento Lancieri di Novara 5°
5th Novara Lancers Regiment
Other Links: Lancieri di Novara
Novara Lancers
Google Street Map view
Latitude, Longitude: 45.97106471 , 12.97451019
Location Accuracy: 6
Tanks Previously Here:


The Paglieri barracks are home to the 5° Reggimento Lancieri di Novara (5th Novara Lancers Regiment) which is a cavalry reconnaissance regiment consisting of a headquarters, logistical support squadron and armoured ‘squadron group’ (battalion). Originally constituted in 1828 as a Regiment of Dragoons of Piedmont, it took its current name in 1832. It saw fighting in the Sardinian War of Independence, Crimea and the Second War of Independence. Having entered the Italian Army it participated in campaigns in 1860, 1866, and others. It participated in the First World War battles of Pozzuoli del Friuli (1917) and Vittorio Veneto (1918). At the outbreak of the Second World War it was involved in operations in the Western Alps, and then later in Yugoslavia (1941) and Russia (1942 to 1943) from which it returned just before the Armistice. It was reconstituted in 1946 and transferred to Codroipo. It was reorganised again in 1992, and took part in humanitarian operations in Somalia in 1994.
Within the barracks there is a memorial that includes a tank and a plaque. The plaque reads as follows:

AL III GRUPPO CORAZZATO TO THE THIRD ARMOURED GROUP
SCESERO DI SELLA,
IL VISO ANCOR PERCOSSO
DAL VENTO DEL GALOPPO,
SALIRONO SUI CARRI.

ADDIO CRINIERE AL VENTO
SQUILLI DI TROMBE, CARICHE IRRUENTI.

MA ERANO LANCERI,
I BIANCHI DI POZZUOLO E DEL DEBELI,
E COME IN SELLA
CORSERO ALLA MORTE.
THEY CAME DOWN FROM THE SADDLE,
FACES STILL STRUCK
WITH THE WIND OF THE GALLOP,
AND MOUNTED THEIR CHARIOTS.

FAREWELL MANES TO THE WIND
SOUND THE TRUMPETS, IMPETUOUS OFFICERS.

BUT THEY WERE LANCERS,
THE WHITES OF POZZUOLO AND OF DEBELI,
AND AS THOUGH IN THE SADDLE
RODE TO THEIR DEATHS.


1) Carro Armato M15/42 Tank Italian


Number of Photos:
4
Sample Photo from Tank with UniqueID 1147

Click here or on the image for this tank's profile page

Unique ID: 1147
Serial Number:
Registration: “RE 13031949” painted on nose (not authentic).
Name:
Other Identification: Painted overall sand yellow. Novara Lancer insignia painted on nose. Tactical markings (Second Battalion Commander) painted on turret sides.

This M15 is missing its hull machine-gun and main gun (the current gun and mantlet are fake). This could indicate that it was once buried as part of a static defence line - there was a post-War defence line along the Tagliamento river that used old M13 series tanks in this way. (Source: M. Foti). It is missing other components, such as exhausts, and is displayed mounted on a stone ramp.