Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

MUSEUM OF LINCOLNSHIRE LIFE, LINCOLN, LINCOLNSHIRE, EAST MIDLANDS, BRITAIN



Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Number of Photos:
5
Sample Photo

Click here or on the image for this location's profile page

Location Category ID:
3580
Address: Burton Road, Lincoln, LN1 3LY
Telephone: 01522 528448
Email: lincolnshirelife_museum [at] lincolnshire.gov.uk (Replace [at] with @)
Opening Times: 1000-1600 Monday to Sunday (April to September)
1000-1600 Monday to Saturday (October to March)
Closed 24-26 December, 31 December, 1 January
Official Website: Welcome to the Museum of Lincolnshire Life
Other Links: Wikipedia
Lincoln’s Connection with the Tank
Latitude, Longitude: 53.23797032 , -0.54442674
Location Accuracy: 10
Tanks Previously Here:


This museum is the largest and most diverse community museum in Lincolnshire. Just five minutes walk from Lincoln Castle, its rich and varied social history collection reflects and celebrates the culture of Lincolnshire and its people from 1750 to the present day.
Exhibits illustrate commercial, domestic, agricultural, industrial and community life. The collections cover agricultural and rural life (Lincolnshire farm wagons and machinery), industry (a World War One tank, steam and oil engines, diesel locomotives and road rollers), Victorian life (at home and at work), military, and transport (including a rare Doctor’s Coupe Bullnose Morris).
The museum also houses the interactive galleries of the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment. It is fully accessible to wheelchair users and has a tearoom, gift shop and free parking for cars and coaches.


1) Mark IV Heavy Tank British


Number of Photos:
22
Sample Photo from Tank with UniqueID 1041

Click here or on the image for this tank's profile page

Unique ID: 1041
Serial Number:
Registration: T179: “T179” originally painted on rear hull sides (now “2179”).
Name: “FLIRT II” painted on glacis.
Other Identification: “F 4” and a ‘four of hearts’ playing card symbol painted on forward sides.

The original ‘Flirt II’ was used on three occasions during the Battle of Cambrai. On 20 November 1917 it was the fourth tank of Number 1 section, 16th Company, Sixth (or F) Battalion. Both 16th and 18th Company detrained at the railhead known as New Heudicourt and advanced through Gouzeaucourt and crossed the Blue and Brown lines before returning to the Battalion Rallying Point near La Vacquuerie. The following day the surviving tanks were ordered to Marcoing, on the St Quentin Canal. F4 was late in starting due to a mechanical fault but got away in due course and appears to have crossed the canal before becoming involved in an incident near Flot Farm which resulted in the unditching of another tank. At the end of this day it again went back to the rallying point. Nothing more happened until the evening of the 26th when twenty tanks, including seventeen from F Battalion (one of which was Flirt II) were prepared for action against Bourlon Village on the following day. During that action F4 attempted to tow F13 ‘Falcon II’ but in doing so stripped some gears and was also disabled. With the enemy closing in the crew were forced to abandon the tank, taking their Lewis guns with them, and make their way on foot to the rallying point. During the subsequent fighting Flirt II received a considerable amount of damage, particularly on the left side in rear of the sponson. Even so it was earmarked to be towed away by its German captors. What became of it after that is unclear. Given the state of the hull and some of the gears it seems unlikely that it was restored to running order by the Germans and the chances are that it was cannibalised for spares to keep other tanks going. This tank was marked as Flirt II when it was displayed at the front of the Bovington Tank Museum but whether it was the real Flirt II is unclear, though it is difficult to know why it was given that name if it was not; nonetheless its identity remains open. (Source: Bovington Museum Vehicle Record).
This Mark IV Female was donated by the Bovington Tank Museum to the City of Lincoln. It was restored by Ruston Gas Turbine Company Limited, previously Fosters, the original manufacturers of the tank.