Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Muckleburgh Collection, Weybourne, Norfolk, East England, Britain

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID:
3320
Added to Database:
27 March 2010
Last Edited:
27 March 2010
Address: The Muckleburgh Collection, Weybourne, Norfolk, NR25 7EH
Telephone: 01263-588210
Email: info [at] muckleburgh.co.uk (Replace [at] with @)
Opening Times: Daily 1000-1700, 2nd April – 31st October
Official Website: The Muckleburgh Collection
Other Links: Google Street View
Latitude, Longitude: 52.94403495 , 1.13028288
Location Accuracy: 7
Tanks Previously Here:


The Muckleburgh Collection is housed in the NAAFI building of the former military Weybourne Camp, which closed in 1959. The Collection is dedicated to the men and women who served there and in all theatres of war, together with their vehicles, equipment and supplies.
The history of Weybourne Camp stems from 1588 when the area was heavily fortified for fear of an invasion by the Spanish. The shallowness of the water off the coast nearby would have allowed the Armada to come very close to shore. In 1938 the German Airship ‘Hindenburg’ was photographed when, on a ‘goodwill mission’, it flew over to test the English Radar System. A small airfield was established beside Weybourne Camp in 1936. Weybourne was visited twice by Winston Churchill in 1941, immediately after the Dunkirk evacuation when British defences were on high alert. Demonstrations put on by the Camp were apparently so poor that all the Senior Staff were replaced. A full history of the Camp is detailed in the Weybourne Room, including a central model diorama that portrays part of the original camp. Leading off from the Weybourne Room is the Diorama Room which contains eight full-sized dioramas. These depict scenes from a World War I trench, a World War II military tailor’s shop, the Battle of Britain, the exploits of Sir Denis Crowley-Milling (a captured RAF pilot), the Gulf War, and a ship’s radio room.
Originally the location of the Canteen and Kitchen, the Central Hall now contains a display of armoured cars and troop carriers. These include the 1941 British Daimler, American M8 and Soviet BTR-40 armoured cars. The Artillery Hall has a display of significant anti-tank guns and other artillery. The Anti-Aircraft Hall displays some examples of ground to air guns which are still in use today. The Model Room houses over 300 models of vehicles and aircraft. It features practically ever vehicle type used in World War II together with the most important pieces of artillery, and some aircraft dating back to World War I. There is also a separate display of Maritime Models, more than fifty naval models specially commissioned by the Muckleburgh Collection. These examples, which range from the famous clipper ‘Cutty Sark’ of 1870 to the recent nuclear submarine ‘HMS Vanguard’, form a collection which ranks as one of the best in the country.
While most of the Muckleburgh collection is under cover some of the largest items currently remain outside. This include an RAF Meteor aircraft, a 3.7in anti-aircraft gun, a Bloodhound missile, a 12pdr naval gun, a Long Tom 8in howitzer, a German 88mm anti-aircraft gun, and a V1 flying bomb. The Muckleburgh Amateur Radio Group operates in buildings beside the museum and these house a large collection of wireless sets.

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

June 2008

The Robert Curson Tank Hall
1: The Robert Curson Tank Hall

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 225
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 128
Has Priority: 0
    

 

The Robert and Gussie Tank Hall
2: The Robert and Gussie Tank Hall

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 226
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 133
Has Priority: 0
    

 

The Harry Dawson Hall
3: The Harry Dawson Hall

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 227
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 105
Has Priority: 0
    



Museum buildings
4: Museum buildings

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 228
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 141
Has Priority: 0
    



Maintenance and storage area
5: Maintenance and storage area

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 229
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 117
Has Priority: 0
    



Driving and display area
6: Driving and display area

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 230
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 124
Has Priority: 0
    



Universal carrier
7: Universal carrier

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 231
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 136
Has Priority: 0
    



M29 Weasel carrier
8: M29 Weasel carrier

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 232
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 115
Has Priority: 0
    



Entrance road
9: Entrance road

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 233
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 100
Has Priority: 0
    



Main entrance
10: Main entrance

Taken: 26 June 2008
Contributor: T. Larkum
Location Photo ID: 234
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 121
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    



April 2004

“Entrance to Muckleburgh Collection Weybourne. A WW2 spigot mortar base is shown in foreground” photo by Palmiped
11: “Entrance to Muckleburgh Collection Weybourne. A WW2 spi...

Taken: 19 April 2004
Contributor: Wikimedia
Location Photo ID: 224
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 116
Has Priority: 0
    

    

    



August 1998

The Harry Dawson Hall, photo by Gary Troughton
12: The Harry Dawson Hall, photo by Gary Troughton

Taken: 21 August 1998
Contributor: Flickr
Location Photo ID: 235
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 163
Has Priority: 0
    



 

The Harry Dawson Hall, photo by Gary Troughton
13: The Harry Dawson Hall, photo by Gary Troughton

Taken: 21 August 1998
Contributor: Flickr
Location Photo ID: 236
Added: 27 March 2010
Views: 168
Has Priority: 0