Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Royal School of Artillery, Larkhill, Wiltshire, South West England, Britain

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 3060
Added to Database: 14 December 2011
Last Edited: 29 January 2012
Address: Royal Artillery Barracks, Royal School of Artillery, Larkhill, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 8QT
Telephone: 00 44 (0) 1980 845012
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website: Royal School of Artillery
Other Links: Wikipedia
Aspire Defence
Latitude, Longitude: 51.20036286 , -1.80795907
Location Accuracy: 7
Tanks Previously Here: 1: Sexton Self-Propelled Gun - Aldershot Military Museum and MWEE, Aldershot, Hampshire, South East England, Britain (Dates unknown)


The Royal School of Artillery is the principal training establishment for artillery warfare in the British Army. Established in 1915, it is located at Larkhill, on the south edge of Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire. The School is the primary training facility for Royal Artillery recruits, and is also home to the Gunnery Training Team. The Royal School of Artillery was originally established in 1915 as the ‘School of Instruction for Royal Horse and Field Artillery (Larkhill)’, on land previously used for tented accommodation at Larkhill. The 1,200-bed Fargo hospital, which was built to the West of the School, also opened around that time to tend for wounded soldiers returning from the First World War (it closed after the War and is now the main ammunition compound for the School). During World War II, the School was a hive of activity providing a significant proportion of the training for over one million gunners. Although the Royal Artillery Mess dates back to 1941, much of the camp was rebuilt in the 1960s. The School was redesignated the “Royal School of Artillery” in 1970. The School provides Phase 2 training for recruits to the Royal Artillery: this training includes gunnery, air defence, surveillance and signals. Trained officers and gunners are then posted to units worldwide, but return to the School for frequent refresher courses. The School is also the home of the Gunnery Training Team, which provides a training consultancy service to the Royal Artillery and the wider Army. (Source: Wikipedia).

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

July 2009

Glover Road entrance
1: Glover Road entrance

Taken: July 2009
Contributor: Google Street View
Location Photo ID: 638
Added: 29 January 2012
Views: 130
Has Priority: 0