Preserved Tanks .com
    World Register of Surviving Historic Armoured Vehicles

Current Query: Full entry for the tank(s)/location: by Type and Update, Location & Update with Spare Photos, NavPix & Videos

Query Buttons: All tanks at this location.


Rose Barracks, Vilseck, Oberpfalz, Bavaria, Germany

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

MAP CONTROLS: Use slider or mousewheel to zoom, and hold down left mouse button to drag.
KEY: Location markers are coloured from Green meaning exact to Red meaning gone or unknown (details here)


Sample Photo from Location



Location Category ID: 1650
Added to Database: May 2008
Last Edited: 26 April 2011
Address:
Telephone:
Email:
Opening Times:
Official Website: USAG Grafenwoehr
Other Links: Panzer Wrecks
Global Security
Wikipedia
Rose Barracks Library – About
Combined Arms Training Center
Die US-Army im Südlager
Latitude, Longitude: 49.64234537 , 11.79133415
Location Accuracy: 7
Tanks Previously Here: 1: Panzerkampfwagen IV Tank - Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, East England, Britain (1945-1980s)
2: Hetzer Tank Destroyer - Crompton Military Vehicle Collection, Suffolk, East England, Britain (1945-1980s)
3: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo Heavy Tank - Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, Kentucky, USA (Until June 2009)
4: M26 Pershing Tank - Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, Kentucky, USA (Firing range May 1970)


After the Grafenwöhr training area was expanded in 1936, the South Camp near the town of Vilseck was constructed. After the war, the South Camp was used to hold German prisoners of war and, later, as an assembly point for Polish and Ukrainian displaced persons. In 1948 a Tank Training Center was established at Vilseck. In 1949, the Tank Training Center’s mission changed from unit training to institutional training with the M24 light tank and M26 medium tank as the main subjects of instruction. In 1950, the first foreign students trained at the South Camp under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program. On July 5, 1951, the South Camp was redesignated as the Seventh Army Training Center with a two year major improvement program of physical layout of the academic facilities and the tank gunnery ranges. The South Camp was designated “Rose Barracks” honouring Major General Maurice Rose, the WWII Commander of the 3rd Armored Division.
In 1958, the Training Center was redesignated the Seventh Army Combined Arms School and together with Grafenwöhr and Hohenfels Training Areas, the school was placed under the newly established Training Center. In the 1960s, the school began training on the M41 light tank and the M47 medium tank as well as the M60 main battle tank and the M551 Sheridan reconnaissance vehicle.
In 1970 the Officer and NCO Maintenance Supervisors courses relocated from Murnau to Rose Barracks when the Murnau school closed. In 1971 the Combined Arms Training School was redesignated the Seventh Army Combined Arms Training Center (CATC) tasked to consolidate all institutional training of the U.S. Army in Europe. Combat Support courses from the U.S. Army School at Oberammergau were transferred to Rose Barracks in 1973. Training began in the 1980s on the M1 Abrams tank and the M2 infantry fighting vehicle.

Location Images - Photographs and NavPix (click to expand or browse)

June 1975

“M60A2
1: “M60A2's in Vilseck, Germany in June 1975”

Taken: June 1975
Contributor: M. Holloway
Location Photo ID: 457
Added: 30 April 2011
Views: 121
Has Priority: 0